||Subject: granddaughter has cancer
We are looking for any help in dealing with children with cancer.
Our 2½ year-old granddaughter was diagnosed with neuroblastoma and has been undergoing
treatment since July '96. Are there any books you could reccomend? The only one I have
found is Jonathan Kellerman's 'Psychological aspect's of Childhood Cancer.' Is it worth
ordering? Any help would be appreciated.
I'm so sorry to hear about this difficult situation.
Here are some web sites:
- When a Child has Cancer (book review)
- Worldwide Network for Children with Cancer
Therapy and the Child with Cancer
- "Talking with Your Child about Cancer"
There is a newsgroup that you could join: misc.kids.health. There are also two mailing lists:
- CSHCN-L - Children with Special Health Care Needs
For information, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Put this single line in the mail message: info CSHCN-L
- DADVOCAT - Dads of Children with Disabilities or Special Health Needs
For information, send an email to: email@example.com.
Put this single line in the mail message: info DADVOCAT
- Davis, Hilton. counseling Parents of Children with Chronic Illness
or Disability. Leicester: BPS Books, 1993.
- Sourkes, Barbara M. Armfuls of Time: the Psychological Experience
of the Child with a Life-threatening Illness. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh
- Bluebond-Langner, Myra. In the Shadow of Illness: Parents and
Siblings of the Chronically Ill Child. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1996.
I have one other suggestion: raspberry leaf tea is a very soothing,
healing, and beneficial drink, which can help your granddaughter to cope with medical
treatment and other stress. There's a mail-order source for a superb quality, organically
grown supply of raspberry leaf tea. The woman who grows and sells it is the
editor/publisher of Compleat Mother magazine. She recommends freezing the tea in ice cube
trays or popsicle molds as a healthful treat for children. She calls it an "ideal
beverage for anyone in recovery". It can be ordered at $6.00 for 35 grams from this
Jody McLaughlin, Publisher Compleat Mother, PO Box
209, Minot, ND
58702 USA Phone: 701 852- 8522 Email: Jody@Minot.com