The Nurturing Mother
Dr. Mizin Park Kawasaki, a pediatrician and stay-at-home mother of two, has created
a unique web site with a focus on unconditional love as the foundation of healthy
human interaction. She began the site to "provide encouraging and enlightening
information about child-rearing".
The site was designed to meet these five goals:
- To provide parents with a broad understanding of child
development with an emphasis on the development of the child as a unique
- To stress the importance of breastfeeding as a crucial parenting
tool of fundamental value to all parents.
- To elucidate why parents should be capable of providing our young
children with humane environments in which to grow and develop.
- To emphasize the importance of human availability and human touch
in a world that is obsessed with consumerism and materialism.
- To explain that the status quo of child-rearing today is stagnant
The site includes several exceptional essays by the site owner, including an
interesting overview of Ashley Montagu's life and ideas and her thoughtful essay
"The True Meaning of Discipline". Her article "Perfect Mothering?"
eloquently explores the idea that "a baby's hunger is not just confined to the
need for food, but for the nurturing that breastfeeding provides the baby's soul and
Dr. Kawasaki believes that "all human beings, including young children, need
unconditional love, a concept with which far too many of us are unfamiliar. We cannot
make demands of our children by withholding love without exacting a high price...our
children's mental health."